Friday, April 1, 2011


Have you ever been fooled on April Fool’s Day?  I mean, really fooled.
I have.
By my little sister, nonetheless.
It happened when she was a junior in high school.  I will never forget it, mainly because I was so mad at her after it happened.
Just for a bit of background info, my sister is ten years younger than I am. 
Okay, so my sister ran cross country and track in high school.  On this particular day (which I didn’t realize was April Fool’s Day) she called me after school.  Her voice was upset, and at the time I thought somewhat panicked.  She told me that the track team had been at a meet at a particularly bad school some thirty or forty minutes away.
Her story claimed that she had run to the bathroom and by the time she got back out the bus had gone. 
Never mind that the bus never would have left without a thorough count of each student.  Never mind that her friends would have noticed she was missing.  Never mind the fact that she normally would have called our parents.
None of those things went through my head.  At all.
Instead I told her to sit tight and I would come get her.  Even as we were talking I was rushing around our apartment getting my infant son ready to go and pulling out the computer to get directions to the school.
That’s when she started laughing.  Hysterically.  She cackled our a smart-butt “April Fool’s!”
I think I hung up on her.
I was so mad.
All that had gone through my mind was genuine concern for her, and she was making a fool of me.
Well, yeah.  Duh.  It was April Fool’s Day.  And looking back now I feel a weird mixture of annoyance and awe at the creativity of the prank.  I still don’t like the fact that she took advantage of my concern for my younger siblings.  I think I would do anything to help them.  Still, she got me.  And got me good.  No one else has ever pranked me like that.
Tell me your prank stories.

In other non-April Fool’s Day news:
I started this blog because I have my first book coming out in June from Astraea Press.  While I am so excited, the nerves are starting to creep in.  I plan on updating this blog on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
I’m going to post about all manner of things, but I will certainly include things about the publishing process. 
Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment