Friday, September 23, 2011

Sweet Saturday Sample

Title: The Hidden Door
Genre: YA Mystery/Romance

I think I hear the sound of footsteps on the stairs above us. My heart is racing. We burst onto the next floor just as the Halloween concert lets out. The throngs of people impede our escape, and suddenly we are laughing, giddily. Justin grabs my hand as we weave through the concert goers. We burst in to the cold night air and keep running. Finally we run out of steam near the headless gargoyle.


Still laughing, Justin pulls me close, into a hug that is so painfully familiar I don't even blink. He draws back slightly, sobering suddenly. The look in his eyes mirrors the same feeling warring in my chest. I let him pull me close again, his mouth hovering dangerously close to mine. An icy wind whips around us. All I can feel is his warm breath teasing my lower lip.

I don't know which of us closes the gap but we kiss. Frantically. Drinking each other in. He tastes like the mocha coffee he drank earlier when Malcolm and Riva were still with us. The thought of our friends breaks the spell. Anger wells up in me, hot and fast, blurring my vision and my rationality.

I shove him away, taking a definitive step back. "This is what started everything being bad in the first place," I snap into his surprised face.

7 comments:

  1. Poor guy, guess he's got some more work to do on straightening her out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm inwardly cringing for Justin. I feel bad for him yet wonder why she ties a former kiss in with everything being bad. Can't wait to find out more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, all sorts of interior conflict going on here. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! That's so emotional! Thanks for a great sample.

    ReplyDelete