Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Five countdown ideas to help jazz up Christmas

Confession: I'm a little like Buddy the Elf. I LOVE Christmas. All of it.

I'm okay with decorations being put out in, say, August. Why not enjoy some yuletide cheer for a bit longer?

I know a lot of people do countdowns, and there are so many awesome ones out there. In our house, we are currently up to five countdowns for Christmas. Why so many? That's a fair question, but my response is: "Why not?"

I have three kids, so it started out that I wanted each of them to have one countdown to do each day. Now they rotate, and we have two other countdowns as well.

The first that we do is a simple, cheap Advent calendar countdown with chocolates behind each door. We buy ours at Aldi, and it's a fun little treat each day.

The second is our house countdown. (See picture below.)

I put a tiny envelope inside that has a fun activity written on it. That's our fun thing for the day. Our first day was baking cookies.

Our third countdown is one I design differently each year. This year's depicts the Holy Family's journey to Bethlehem. Each day we put up the new number, and add a piece of the story.

Our fourth countdown is unwrapping a wrapped Christmas book each day.

We've accumulated quite a few Christmas books over the years from garage sales and as gifts. I wrapped these last year right after Christmas. It was so exciting to have this ready to go. (See, I'm weird like that. Little things make me happy.)
Our fifth countdown is new this year. My mom got me a really neat product that had twenty-four little slippers hanging from a line. I created a puzzle. Each piece is placed in a slipper, and we're putting the puzzle together one piece at a time. On the twenty-fourth, the piece will reveal our family Christmas present.
Tell me, readers, do you do any countdowns? What's your favorite part of Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment