Thursday, October 22, 2015

Huskies Light The Way

I think I participate in more Homecoming activities as an alumni, than I ever did as a student. Tonight I went with my family to see the NIU (Northern Illinois University) homecoming parade, and it was pretty cool. The parade was at night, and who doesn't love going to a parade when it's dark out? There's just something about it that makes it feel so extra special.

The theme of Homecoming this year is "Huskies Light the Way." I love this theme, and the many meanings you can take from it. This week I'd like to showcase a few former Huskies who I really think light the way.

Katie B. is an educator, librarian, historian, author, blogger, wife, and mom. One of her children has Down Syndrome, and she has become an advocate. When you read her blog, you get a sense of her strength, her passion, and her positivism.  Check out her blog here: https://forelysium.wordpress.com/

Kim and Jason Kotecki have made it their mission in life to eliminate Adultitis. Are you guilty of taking yourself too seriously? They can help. Jason has a new book out called Penguins Can't Fly +39 other rules that don't exist.  http://www.amazon.com/Penguins-Cant-Fly-Other-Rules/dp/1250067103/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445572118&sr=8-1&keywords=Penguins+Can%27t+Fly

You can check out more of their mission here: http://escapeadulthood.com/blog/

My mom graduated from NIU with multiple degrees, and later went back to get her teaching certificate. She now works with freshmen, and I guarantee she lights the way for her students, spending countless hours lesson planning and grading. She cares for her students, and puts so much of herself into what she does, as do so many other teachers that have graduated from NIU.

My mother-in-law and father-in-law run a food pantry in their small community. They provide food, clothing, and assistance for a huge number of people. Before they retired, they were both teachers who made a difference that way, and in their retirement they have continued to do just that.

There are thousands upon thousands of examples of Huskies who light the way in their respective field, and in their families. To be an NIU alum means that you are part of a long history of people doing great things, and striving to bring joy, light, and goodness to their worlds. I'm proud to be a Huskie.

No comments:

Post a Comment