Monday, January 18, 2016

Music Monday: Glenn Frey, The Eagles, and the soundtrack of my childhood

Have you ever noticed how certain songs evoke certain memories from certain times in your life?

One of my earliest musical memories is listening to the Eagles (Hotel California, to be exact), drowsy because it was late and I was little, probably five years old, as my family drove home from South Dakota through the Badlands. The strange moonscape of buttes and towers barely visible against a moonlit night. Those lyrics:
Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here

 They became entwined with a memory that I'm not quite sure that I remember correctly because I was so young. And yet, every time I hear that song I think of the Badlands. When I go to the Badlands as an adult, I hear that song in the back of my head. 

There are other songs by the Eagles that hold the same place in my memory and in my heart. Take It Easy is my favorite road trip song. The Desperado album (the best album ever in my opinion) tells a story that I can listen to again and again. I remember my mom exercising to that album when I was a kid. 

I've been to an Eagles concert, just once, but it was by far the most amazing concert I've ever been to.There were fans of all ages, and everyone loved every song that they sang. There were no moments of disappointment. 

When we went to Arizona two years ago, I stood on the corner in Winslow, Arizona. 
When I heard that Glenn Frey had died today, I felt a tug of sadness that comes when a celebrity that you admire passes away. For his fans, the music that he made will continue to live on, and I intend to listen to it repeatedly this week. 

Take it easy, Glenn Frey. Thanks for the music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment