Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Music Monday: Playlist for In the Spotlight

Rain splattered on the windshield as I pulled into the gas station parking lot. The wipers worked furiously as I turned around to make sure both boys were still sleeping in their car seats. Relieved that the temporary lull in movement hadn't awakened either of them, I sifted through my CD collection on the seat beside me until I found the 80s mix that I had been craving for days.

Once the CD was in the player, I put the sound on as high as I dared, and pulled back out onto the road to continue the drive so the boys could get their naps, and I could get some much needed thinking time.

When my boys were 2 and an infant I drove around every day like that for 1-2 hours so they could both get a nap at the same time. I loved that period in my life. Uninterrupted time to think? When I had two under two? Yes, please.

It was on those drives that the idea for my first book was conceived and plotted out. Sometimes I felt like my main character road along with me on all those drives, telling me her story. The 80s music that I listened to became the playlist for the book. So today I thought I'd share some of the somgs that influenced the story the most.
                                                               ****

Okay, so technically this one is from 1991, but close enough, right?
The One and Only by Chesney Hawkes.


I think of this one as Hannah's theme song. She needed to be strong and truly believe in herself, and I love the lyrics: "I am the one and only/nobody I'd rather be." Who can argue with lyrics like that?
                                                                   ****

This next song is one of the songs that Hannah and Josh dance to in their school musical. I also think that it pretty accurately describes the way Josh feels about Hannah before she realizes her feelings for him.
Hungry Eyes by Eric Carmen


Lyrics that influenced a character: "I've been meaning to tell you/I've got this feeling that won't subside/I look at you and I fantasize."
                                                                 ****

And finally, this song always reminds me of the way Hannah feels about Josh. I love the way Hannah realizes that she likes Josh and that he likes her, but she doesn't let that define who she is. Her feelings confuse her, but in a good way.

How Will I Know by Whitney Houston (Also? Her outfit. That is all.)


Lyrics that remind me of Hannah: "There's a boy I know, he's the one I dream of/Looks into my eyes, takes me to the clouds above, mm mm/Oh I lose control, can't seem to get enough, uh huh/When I wake from dreaming, tell me is it really love"
                                                             ****

Tell me, if you are a writer, what songs have influenced your books? And readers, what songs do you imagine playing in scenes of your favorite books?

No comments:

Post a Comment