Monday, February 8, 2016

Music Monday: Writing to Eagles Music

Sometimes I will see something--in this case the window above--and I won't be able to get it out of my head. The house that window belongs in has long been abandoned (check back later in the week for more pictures), but if I stare at it long enough I can imagine so many things there.

Hotel California by The Eagles (lyrics put into bold by me)

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
This house isn't in a desert, but I think the longer I look at the photo the more I can imagine the life that used to exist behind it. Maybe it was a child's bedroom or a library. When I listen to the lyrics I think about what it means to dream about something with such clarity that the line between dream and reality gets blurred. That's the place stories are born from.

There she stood in the doorway, I heard the mission bell
Then I was thinking to myself this could be Heaven or this could be Hell
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor I thought I heard them say

"Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place
(Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year
(Any time of year)
You can find it here"
If you look up at the window, can you almost see a face there? What would the backstory be? How would it impact the story going forward? 
When I listen to lyrics, I don't interpret them literally, but they always give me ideas. If you're a writer, how does music impact you?

No comments:

Post a Comment