Thursday, April 28, 2016

It's raining, it's pouring...

Do you like it when it rains?

I'm one of those people. A rainy day is the perfect weather for just about anything I can think of. Walking in the rain? Yes, please. Sleeping with the window open while it rains? Nothing better. Working while it rains? Absolutely.



I write better when it's rainy. Does that sound strange? Maybe it is, but when it rains, I feel calmer, and my head is clearer. The ideas seem to flow better. The times when I can work while it rains are often scattered and far between, but when it does happen, it's like magic. I know it's 99% a mental trick, but I believe that 1% remaining actually has a physical influence on me. So when it rains, I write and I plot and I dream.

Yesterday my friend and I took our kids out for the afternoon, and toward the end of our outing it started to rain. Just sprinkles at first, but then harder. We stood on the deck overlooking the dam by the river, getting completely soaked. We watched the pelicans drift in the current while the kids heaved huge rocks into the water. By the time we got back in the car, we were all sopping wet. As we cranked the heat, I felt the first flood of inspiration.

Today promised rain, but hasn't delivered. Still, I'm trying to harness the ideas I got yesterday, and work until my fingers are too numb to type.

No comments:

Post a Comment