Thursday, June 23, 2016

Summer Reads

The summer I was nine I read as many books as I could at the public library. I'm talking beyond summer reading levels. By the time I had started to move through the stacks, I had left the summer reading list in the dust. I didn't have any real discernment about what I read, I just wanted to read.

The library of my childhood doesn't exist anymore. They remodeled it and expanded it just last year, and it's beautiful. But it's not the library of my memory. Where I read was a cramped, dimly lit space in the basement of the building...and it was the most magical place I had ever been. Being there instilled a lifelong love of reading in me. And this summer is no different. So I am sharing two of the books I've read and loved so far this summer.

Something New by Lucy Knisley

Lucy Knisley is a cartoonist and author who writes the most amazing graphic memoirs. This particular one is about the year leading up to her wedding. The stories she includes are funny, sweet, and poignant. Her drawings are spot on.

All of her books are fantastic (French Milk is delightful), but this one is one of my favorites.

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

I picked up this book on a recommendation, and at first I wasn't sure how much I would like it. But I'm delighted to say that I loved it. This isn't just a teen romance, it's a story about finding yourself. The main character, Lara Jean, is such a good example of why authors need to write characters are diverse.

Tell me what you are reading this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment