Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Summer Vacay Series: Where are you going?


Summer is upon us and with it comes dreams of travels far and wide (or near and dear).  Over the next few months I'll have lots of fun posts about traveling, along with guest posts from a variety of talented writers.

We're planning a few trips this summer, and I can't wait to share more about them after we go. For now, I'm just going to share the places we are going.

Missouri
We're heading down to visit my husband's grandmother for a few days this summer. She lives in southern Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks. The area is hilly and wooded. We love to go down to Mammoth Springs, Arkansas, which is where my husband's grandmother grew up. Her parents owned a general store there.

There is the most wonderful park there that includes a stream/river complete with pond and waterfall. There's a hydro electric dam. There are ducks and geese. There is an aquarium, and a small train museum. A park with a playground. The list goes on.

We've been there several times, and I'm already daydreaming about going there again soon.





South Dakota
My earliest road trip memory is from when I was five years old. We went to South Dakota to visit my aunt and uncle (who was stationed at Ellsworth Air Force Base). Certainly all the memories come in bits and pieces: a gas station bathroom filled with frogs, enormous hail, a motel that had a tame chicken that would follow you around, driving through the Badlands at night.

Now we go every year, at least once, and I get to show my kids all my favorite things.This year I'm excited to find new things to do in a favorite old place, to go to my favorite places, and participate in local activities.





Tell me, where are you going this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment