Monday, June 5, 2017

Summer Reading

Did you participate in a summer reading program when you were a kid?

I loved to sign up on the first day of registration at our library. I'd check out armfuls of books, and go home to bliss out on doing nothing but reading all day every day. The only problem was that I would be finished before the end of June, and after I claimed my prizes that was it for the summer reading program. I mean, I still spent every day reading, but the program always felt like a let down.

Now that I have three kids of my own, we still do sign up for summer reading programs through our library, and they are still sort of a let down. That's why I've started creating my own summer reading lists, both for myself, and for the books I read aloud to my kids. I thought I'd share those lists today, and encourage you to share any recommendations that you have as well






My Summer Reading List:

1. A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams
2. Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han
3. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
4. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
5. Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
6. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
7. Roughing It by Mark Twain
8. Coming Up For Air by Miranda Kenneally
9. Lucky in Love by Kasie West
10. 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl by.Mona Awad
11. Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick
12. Start Up by Doree Shafrir
13. The Idiot by Elif Batuman
14. Girling Up by Mayim Bialik
15. Feeling Sorry for Celia by Jaclyn Moriarity
16. We were Liars by E. Lockhart
17. Don't Ask Me Why by Tania Kinderslay
18. Blankets by Craig Thompson
19. The Most Dangerous Place on Earth by Lindsay Lee Johnson
20. The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Adrian
21. Caraval by Stephanie Barber
22. Into the Water by Paula Hawkins




Kid Summer Reading List (That I'm Reading Aloud):

1. Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan
2. The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
3. 11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass
4. Every Soul a Star by Wendy Mass
5. Wayside School is Falling Down by Louis Sachar
6. Treasure Hunters 4 by James Patterson
7. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
8. The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
9. The Best Man by Richard Peck
10. Wonder by R. J. Palacio
11. All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook by Leslie Connor
12. Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter
13. Heidi by Johanna Spyri
14. Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl
15. On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder

No comments:

Post a Comment